Sunday, April 17, 2011

Still LOVING American Idol! Can't get enough of it. Another thing I love is my iphone. I know I have said it before, but it is sooo true. I am addicted to Words With Friends, but this last week I downloaded two new apps. to use at work for people with communication delays. The iphone has many apps for assistive technology some for a small fee and some for free! I got one that works like a jelly bean switch. It cost $15 one time fee and to order a jelly bean switch it costs at least a couple of hundred dollars. Parents can get this app to use for their kids. If they use assistive technology (AT) or (AC) Assistive Communication devices, this can be used in place or at the least as a back up if they are out and forget to bring theirs from home. It is awesome! The other one I got is like a choice switch that offers choices from categories such as foods, snacks, outdoor play, indoor play, etc. choices. Then it opens up with those choices and you pick one and then it shows an "I want" button to push next to the choice, e.g. Apple. The kid pushes both to make a request "I want Apple". You can program in any choices and they have real life pictures, not drawings that are less concrete. This type of device can cost $10,000 to $15,000! Yes, big difference from the $15 I paid for each with a one time fee. Anyway, I am soo jazzed about them. I can't wait to use them and show clients. Way to go iphone! They also have specific apps for people with Autism where you can make visual schedules,etc. and for kids with Apraxia. Did I say AWESOME? Yeah awesome. Just saying!

No comments: