Thursday, October 7, 2010

Number Your Days

In continuing the discussion I had two blogs ago about time and prioritizing to maximize our days, our impact for His kingdom, I have to review some thoughts I heard from my pastor. He said that God is the one who gave us our time. He is the only one who knows how many days, how much time we have to accomplish our purpose here on earth. Yes, our days are numbered and we must remember that. No matter how long we live, our lives are all short compared to eternity. We must be wise with our time. Understand that your priority determines your capacity. We must make our practice a priority. Our practice here on earth is our time alone with God. It is preparing us for when we get to live with him face to face. We must slow down, "Be still and know that He is God,".

This is sooo hard. Whenever I try to not just do all the talking in my prayer time, and actually get quiet to listen to God, my mind wanders or I start to fall asleep or daydream. Ugh! What's wrong with me? My mind can't turn off from overdrive and be still. but being still is what my soul needs the most. It is healing, renewing, life giving. So why is it sooo hard!? Still, I must practice it to get better at it.

My preacher said that each time we put on our watches in the morning we should say Ps. 90;12 "Teach me Lord to number my days that I may gain a heart of wisdom." What a great reminder to start our day with energy and the urgency we need to live each day for the things of God that are eternal and not forget with the distractions of the day. Let's try it.

One person that has inspired me for a long time is the singer/song writer Rich Mullins. He passed away about 13 years ago. He is one person I would like to meet and spend time with in heaven, besides God, Jesus and my family of course. Anyway, I have been googling his videos and watching him sing and share about his walk in his old concert video clips. He is so amazing. He took a vow of poverty and set up a group of men to be in charge of all the money he made. He lived like a pauper in an old trailer with only a few clothes. He had the group receive all of his money and then they gave him a small allowance to live off of because he didn't want to be tempted to spend more. He wanted to give as much as he could to help others and do God's work. That was what consumed him. It was a joyful thing. To give brings forth more joy. If you have ever given (especially when it hurts) you know what I'm talking about. Does my love for God and others consume me that much? Not really. I wish it did. Now not everyone is called to or given the gift of poverty, like Rich. but what an example he was and still is. His music lives on to inspire and point us to God, but even more so his life. No other singer inspires me as much a him with his music or life.

Anyway, I feel that God is trying to focus me and help me let go of my desire and striving for material things. Not that they are bad, but my frustration, bitterness and distractedness from wanting material things does draw me away from God. I forget how blessed I truly am and lose my joy. I pray for "Godliness with Contentment which is great gain." As Americans, we are truly rich. We have food to eat and shelter and education. Many in the world have none of these. Many don't survive. When we fuss and whine it is a stench to God. The irony of it. Will we ever have enough to be satisfied? If we did we would be complaining of being bored. Our wealth and comfortable living can disfigure us spiritually. We no longer have a healthy need for God. Our memories fade and we forget Him and all he has done for us. How sad.

So be content, give freely, thank God and Jesus and use your time wisely and joyfully. Carpe Diem.

No comments: