Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cute Creepy and the Bible

Max and I were talking the other day while at Target. Sam was off enjoying the spooky, gory decorations for Halloween. His favorite! (This is perfect for the Spanish Immersion school program he is in because they have out on display the Dia de Muerto--Day of the Dead celebration decorations which has skeleton heads decorated and skeleton people in sugar candy, grave decorations, etc.) Anyway, Max was lagging behind with me, not particularly enjoying the extra creepy stuff unlike Sam. He said, "Mom, I like the cute creepy, not the creepy creepy stuff." I agreed with Max, he said it so well.

Well, I actually did make Sam's skeleton he bought last weekend into an educational thing. It hangs in his room by his bed, his friend he named Skulzie. The very night he got it we hung it up and he immediately asked me to get on the computer and print out a picture of a skeleton with all the bones named so he could know their names. I did it right away and we have had fun learning them. He already knows: skull (hence skulzie), rib cage, spine, mandible, coccyx, radius, ulna, tibia, fibia, femur, humerus, sternum, pelvis and phalangies. He has trouble remembering the clavicle for some reason. We made up funny things to remember them (e.g. the mandible eats meat, "don't break your coccyx", Max has broken his radius and ulna, Mimi broke her femur last year, Elvis the pelvis--and they shake their hips, the humerus is humorous because it is near the arm pit, and we wiggle our phalangies-fingers, the tibia and fibia help you from falling,etc. Anyway it has been fun. Skulzie has been a hit, and very helpful.

This last Sunday I did another project with the kids and we melted crayons together in the oven to make multicolored crayons. It was fun. We also saw my nephew Sawyer play a soccer game and Carson play a football game. It has been quite busy. Sunday evening at church, the boy's classes gave them a choice of activities they have to do throughout this week for a prize next Sunday. My boys are all about prizes and will do anything to get them. Sam chose reading his bible each day. He has been obsessed with it and wants to read it 2-3 times each day. He carries it around like it is gold. If I'm too busy to read it to him right away he opens it up and stares at the pages. He told me that it didn't matter that he can't read because just looking at it was wonderful. He spends a lot of time doing this dreamily and saying "Mom, I love the bible." Oh it does my heart good, only he does this and then a second later starts screaming and fussing about something else out of the blue he finds to get mad about, stomping and jumping while still holding the bible. Ohhh Sammmy. I guess I know what I 'm going to have to get the boys for Christmas, a kid friendly, easy to read bible for each of them. Sam is wanting to have his own---to stare at...ha, ha. No, he will soon learn to read and be able to read it on his own.

So there you have it; cute creepy beats out creepy creepy, skulzie is a hit and educational, and God's word is good, even for a kindergartener. Hope your week goes well.

No comments: