Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christ-Mas

I was helping Max and Sam spell the word Christmas the other day. I explained to them that it spelled Christ-mas, that the first half of the word spelled Jesus Christ's name because the holiday was about Jesus Christ's birthday. Max has also caught me spelling it with an X as in Xmas. I always feel guilty doing this to save time. I hate taking Christ out of Christmas. It seems the whole world is trying to take Christ and God out of everything. Sometimes I want to shout and battle about it, and then I realize that I can't change others, but I can keep Christ the center of my life and be a witness. That helps me.

I don't have to and can't change the world. I can't even change my neighbor, friend or even husband or son's opinion...only God and Jesus can. My job isn't to change hearts. That is God's job. All I need to do is faithfully follow him and seek him and tell others about him. The rest is up to God. Now that is reassuring.

This year for Christ-mas I need to remember to make Jesus' birthday cake for Christmas eve with my family. I actually forgot to do it last year in all the busy rush. I felt horrible. If you haven't done it before, try it. You can let your kids help make and decorate the cake and Christmas eve light the candles and sing happy birthday to Jesus to remember the reason for the holiday and all the gift giving. Remind your family of the greatest gift we have been given, our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.

I was listening to a Steven Curtis Chapman song about Jesus as a baby then a boy then a man ("This Baby Was Jesus"). I talks about how he was ordinary and grew up with his mom and dad like other boys do, learning how to walk, getting scraped knees, learning how to do carpentry, getting blemishes and going through puberty. But at the same time he was God in human form. He was human and holy at the same time. It is an oxymoron. Only Jesus could be that for us.

I thought about what God had to go through to give up his only son for us. I can't imagine doing that. I remember when I was pregnant with my boys and prayed daily for their health and development in me. I prayed about their future and for them to grow up knowing God and Jesus and serving them. Although I prayed for health, I also struggled and eventually prayed for God to make them whoever he wanted them to be, with whatever faults, frailties, struggles, however long or short their life would be. It was hard to say and pray. But in the end they really belong to him, their maker and father. However God wants to use them, I must be open to it and let them.

But could I let them be handed over for sacrifice? I could hand over myself, but not my boys. That is exactly what God did for us. Unbelievable isn't it?! His love knows no bounds. He will go to any lengths to save us. Don't go this Christmas season forgetting that. Remember how deep and wide the love of God and Christ is. Christmas isn't just about cheer and celebration. It is a season of sacrifice. It was the beginning of our salvation. Now that is something to celebrate!!!

1 comment:

Alice said...

X stands for Christ in either the Greek or Hebrew language, so do not feel guilty when using Xmas.