Sunday, June 7, 2009

Grumbling Israelites

Yes, I am living with the grumbling Israelites. My kids have been very fussy this week, well, for the last month to be honest. My patience is wearing thin. But as always, one good thing can come out of our trials. Every time my kids start fussing, it reminds me of the Israelites grumbling in the desert and how God must have felt. He provided for them, saved them, guided them and made them his own special people (Family), but still they were not satisfied. Aren't we the same? Are we ever satisfied? If we aren't, then we are'nt spending enough time with God in his presence in prayer, His word, and worship.

I admit, I am the biggest grumbler of all. Why? Ugh. It is the core of my sinful nature. How quickly I forget how good my God is. How many times have I made him cringe with the sound of my fussing? How many times have I brought tears to his eyes? But thank goodness he is tireless, forgiving, loving and patient. God knows our tendencies to sin. That is why he sent his son Jesus to save us. Thank goodness for his God-ness, his nature, who he is, the great "I am". What would we do if he was anything less than who he was?

So, if---(oops), "when" you are frustrated with your kid's (or co-worker's, or spouse's, etc.) fussing, use it as an opportunity to praise God and remember how good he is. It is a quick reality check, reminding us how we all behave at times...too often. So carpe diem, seize the day for Christ and find a way to make every frustration and trial an opportunity to draw close to God or help others. Turn your fussing into praises and save the day!

No comments: