Saturday, June 13, 2009

Messy Mastepeices

This is sort of a continuation on the theme of Divine Difficulties I guess. Can you tell I used to be obsessed with perfectionism? I was a little OCD as a child and would actually get up in the middle of the night one or more times to remake my bed with hospital bed corners because it would drive my crazy if it wasn't perfectly neat. When did I do this? From elementary school and on up until college. Yes, my messy roomates in college were divinely chosen for me to help me let go of my issues. God has a way of doing this for us. (At least for me, it is a theme. I am trying not to take it the wrong way. Huh. What does that say about me? Oh well.)

This week my son Max has made a tie dye t-shirt and Sam has painted some pictures at thier daycares. Max continued the artistic theme by finding a web site on cartoon network where he made spin art. It was so cute and fun. He made them for his great granda and his Mimi (grandma).

I love the art my kids make and frequently frame them. I have many framed pictures they have painted hanging in their rooms. It is so cute. There are a few favorites that I will keep to hang up in the rest of the house when they grow up and don't want them in their rooms. I am amazed at how much I treasure these. I can't get enough of their creations.

This does not fit my perfectionistic impulse. But the rule does not apply to my kids, nor to art. If a piece of art is too perfect it is not interesting. The slight imperfections make them unique and special and interesting. They add more character to the piece. They add the human touch. I don't want a piece of art work done by a computer/robot/machine. I want it done by a person. That way it is personal and special.

I am daily reminded that, that is how God sees us. Our frailties, weaknesses, imperfections are still beautiful in his eyes. They do not diminish the glory and love he sees and feels for us. Do we not feel the same about our own loved ones he has given us? How much more so with God!

Now don't get me wrong. It is not that God loves sin or sickness or weakness. But he still loves us and sees beauty in us. He can also use anything for his good and still create a work of art out of us. He does make beauty from ashes. so don't despair of your imperfections. Accept them and make the best of them. Allow God to still use you...all of you, strengths and weaknesses. Let go of your pride. God has not given you a spirit of timidity, but of power, love and self-control. Rejoice in the person God made you to be.

Don't shy back from him using you due to fear of failure or shame over weakness and imperfections. God is not looking for perfect people. If he was, he would be very lonely. He knows us well and our imperfections. That is why he sent Jesus and paid such a high price for our salvation. He knows very well who we really are and still loves us fiercely. Rejoice in that truth and let it free you. Isn't it great to be His messy masterpiece!!!

No comments: