Monday, January 16, 2012

Seek His Still Small Voice

Well, I've started off the new year with two new devotionals I'm reading and I like them. The first one, my pastor recommended because he wrote a week in it. It is a compilation from many pastors, each taking a week of the year. It is good, it is "The Pathway to Discipleship". The one I like even better was given to me by my friend Angela who said she thought it was transformational. I love it too. It is "Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace In His Presence" by Sarah Young. Here is my journaling after reading the two entries today.

I. Kings 19: 11-12 "He said, 'Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord.' And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice."

Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

Joshua 1:5 and 9 "No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life; as I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will not rail you or forsake you."
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; be not frightened, neither be dismayed; for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

God's voice is not found in the clamor and chaos of earthquakes, fires, raging winds or clamor of this world. It is a still small voice that speaks to our quiet spirit when we are still and listen. He doesn't yell. It is our choice to listen and seek him. Instead of rehearsing and replaying every trouble, fear and hurt, we need to seek Him and His peace. (This is a hard one for me, as I embarrassingly have to admit I tend to wallow like a martyr.) Wallowing in fear and worry only multiplies our suffering and fear, feeding it. Satan loves this. We are only meant to endure each trial once, so why keep repeating it? Multiplying it? Shut out all the voices and focus only on the most important one---God's! There you will find peace and provision. There you will find Him!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have heard so many good things about the Jesus Calling. Kristen is doing it right now too and I know she is loving it.