Wednesday, May 19, 2010

mad scientist

Last Thursday we had an unexpected day off of school (which meant no work for me). I watched Brook's kids so that she could work and the boys could all have fun playing. I decided to do a project. My family knows how I love PROJECTS. My kids ask for them sometimes. They can be art or crafts or science experiments. I got creative and googled "easy home science experiments" and it gave lots of web sites. I went with www.sciencebob.com/experiments/index.php It gave lots of great ideas. I chose to do two of them. They were really fun. You should try them too.

1. Bending Water with Static Electricity (I dubbed all of the boys Avatars since they were water benders---not quite air benders though). This is easy. You need only a dry plastic comb and a faucet. 1.) turn on faucet slowly so that you have a small stream of water flowing. 2.) comb through your hair 10-20 times (roughing up the hair for more static electricity helps, so does having thick hair). 3.) Now hold the comb close to the stream of water without touching it. The water flow should bend toward the comb. It looks cool. Now you are an official water bender!

2. Exploding Lunch Bag You will need 1small sandwich zip-lock bag (freezer bags work best), baking soda, warm water, vinegar, and a tissue. 1.) Put 1/4 cup of pretty warm water into the zip-lock bag. 2.) Add 1/2 cup vinegar to the water in the bag. 3.) Put 3 teaspoons of baking soda into the middle of the tissue and wrap it up into a pouch by folding the tissue around it. 4.)go outside or in the sink because messy. Work fast now! Partially zip up the bag closed but leaving enough room to slip the pouch of baking soda in. Put the pouch inside and quickly zip up the bag so completely closed. 6.) Put the bag on the ground or in the sink and step back. The bag will start to expand with gas and bubbles until it pops!

OK, besides doing these experiments, the next day, Friday, when I picked Sam up at preschool/daycare, they were doing science experiments so I stayed a little while and watched so Sam could see also. They did the mentos in diet coke experiment and we got to see the pop explode into a gush way high into the air. It was cool! Just another fun idea for a not so busy day.

No comments: